Τhe 200th anniversary of the Revolution
"Greece 2021" Committee's Numismatic Programme
The "Greece 2021" Committee's Numismatic Programme was implemented with a decision by the Ministry of Finance and the gracious sponsorship of the Bank of Greece, based on the recommendation of the Committee. It includes the issuance of 14 coins of rare collectible value. On them, the internationally acclaimed engravers of the Hellenic Mint have engraved, with their unique technique, emblematic moments from the history of modern Greece, on the occasion of the 200th anniversary of the Revolution.
The "Greece 2021" Committee's Numismatic Programme includes a unique three-part collection consisting of:
Two bi-metallic coins, which depict the first two coins of the Greek State:
- The Phoenix of 1828, and
- the first drachma of 1833.
Eight silver coins, with the expansions of the Greek territory:
- The first Greek State, with Theodoros Kolokotronis.
- The Ionian Islands, with Ioannis Kapodistrias.
- Thessaly and Arta, with Rigas Feraios-Velestinlis.
- Epirus, with Athanasios Tsakalov.
- Macedonia, with Pavlos Melas.
- Crete, with Eleftherios Venizelos.
- Thrace, with Georgios Vizyinos.
- The Dodecanese, with Lady of Ro.
And four gold coins with the historical evolution of the Greek flag:
- The flag of the Friendly Society.
- The Greek flag of 1821.
- The Greek flag of 1822.
- The current Greek flag.
These 14 coins will be issued in limited numbers, while their molds will be destroyed after production, enhancing their unique collectible value.
Sales started on Monday, 18 January 2021. The coins are available through the Committee’s e-shop.